Saturday, January 3, 2015

All Packed Up: One Step Closer to Tiny House Living

It’s just after midnight, and once again sleep is nothing more than a faraway idea.

It could be the Red Bull this afternoon, keeping me awake…it could be binge watching episodes of Stalker before bed. Or, I could be desperately in need of some time to write…and post the things I have been writing.

Either way, I am grateful to Troy for leaving out a few of my herbal tea K-Cups when he packed up the rest of the pantry. Anticipating my insomnia? He says I Love You that way, when he thinks of me.
 
It’s not just our pantry contents. Most of our belongings are in boxes at the moment. What hasn’t been given away, donated to thrift stores, purged, recycled, or burned (Yes, burned. That was a fun night) is safely packed away in liquor store boxes marked storage or tiny house. We have a small selection of items going with us to the main house, where we will live while the tiny house is under construction. These things consist mainly of clothing (all of Troy’s wardrobe and about 1/3 of mine & P’s) office supplies, food, and toiletries. Everything else will sit patiently in newspaper and bubble wrap until our tiny house is move in ready. This adventure is becoming real.

It is interesting to me, to see the heap of stuff we moved in here with and the fraction of it that we are leaving with. It is interesting to me, to think of the year we spent buying furniture, décor, clothing and other junk just to fill this space…and now we spend our hours trying to empty it. I don’t know if I really believed in the power of consumerism until I witnessed this transformation. I don’t know if I really believed Troy, when he told me I was a hoarder.

In just ten days we will wave goodbye to our big house, our first house, this great house. And while I am saddened over some of the things we will leave here, I am altogether filled with relief to be going. There is nothing that exists inside this structure that we cannot have, do, or feel anywhere else. In ten days we will close the door, and hand over the keys – no longer ours. We will cut ties with yet another anchor that has held us down this year, and we will be so very free.


I couldn’t be any more excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment